Why Volunteer at WORT?
WORT serves our community through quality, alternative music, news and public affairs programming produced by volunteers. Our broadcast signal covers the area within a 35-50 mile radius of Madison, populated by over a half million people. We also provide live internet streaming, program archives and podcasts.
At WORT you can meet interesting people while learning media skills, contributing to locally produced programming (93% of our 24/7 program schedule), supporting day-to-day operations of the station and assisting with fundraising and outreach events. No previous radio experience is needed.
Who Should Volunteer at WORT?
WORT is looking for volunteers who: are reliable and dependable; able to function well with minimal supervision; communicate well; appreciate diversity; and play well with others.
Due to the amount of time required for training, the capacity of our limited staff and the large number of volunteer positions at the station, ongoing volunteer opportunities require a minimum commitment of 3-4 months with some positions requiring a one year commitment. Typical ongoing volunteer opportunities require a weekly shift of 3-4 hours.
There are limited short-term volunteer opportunities, including answering pledge phones during our fall, winter and summer on-air drives and assisting with outreach and fund raising activities mostly during the summer season.
WORT also offers unpaid internships requiring 8-12 hours per week during the course of a semester. Arrangements must be made well in advance of the current semester.
Steps to Becoming a WORT Volunteer:
- Review the current list of Volunteer Opportunities
- Submit your online Volunteer Application
- Make an intake appointment [department head(s) and volunteer coordinator] to discuss placement possibilities and receive information regarding the process and timelines for our required criminal background check. [a new requirement starting in 2019]
- Provide authorization for a criminal background check
- Volunteering begins with training/orientation with your department head AFTER an offer of volunteer work has been made and accepted