Sunday, 6 April 2014 | Programming Committee
Programming Committee Meeting
118 S. Bedford Street. Madison, Wisconsin 53703
March 10, 2014
5:00 – 6:30pm
APPROVED FEB. MEETING MINUTES
Present: Molly Stentz, Karma Chavez, Sybil Augustine, Jim Schwall, Sal Serio, Stuart Utley, Rich Samuels
Meeting Commenced: 5:10pm
I. Communication from the Public
1. No guests
2. Read from Listener blog: A listener was critical of pronunciation of international names, and suggested previewing pronunciations in advance of programs
II. Communication from the Board
1. Welcomed new Board rep Jim Schwall
III. Schedule Next Meeting
1. MEETING DATE: Monday, April 7th 5:15 – 6:45pm
IV. Staff Reports
1. News, Talk, and Public Affairs:
- Discussion of Winter Pledge Drive results, approx. $10,000 short of goal, will see if Jim Goronson can provide analysis to the P.C.
- Programmers of “A Public Affair” were still learning the caller I.D. and cueing features of new phone system, anticipation of having increased training concluded by end of March.
- Looking ahead to recruitment of new Summer interns in relation to WORT’s News, Talk, and Public Affairs programming.
- There will be a live broadcast from 4 Star Video on Fri. April 4 from noon until 2:00 pm about the WI Film Festival.
- Opening still available for a programmer of “In Our Backyard” (local news) Tuesdays 6:30-7:00 pm
- Some positive pledge drive results from newer programmers, especially BossLady/“Universal Soul Explosion”
- Efforts to increase communication and awareness (especially regarding pledge drive shifts) with newer programmers.
- Reorganization of WORT classical music library.
- Various issues arose during pledge drive concerning new phone system. Efforts to make better phone instructional documents available to volunteers.
- Children’s program “Pachyderm Parade” is organizing a show at an upcoming parenting expo, that is partnering with WORT and increasing awareness of the station.
- WORT documentary in the works produced by former WORT volunteer Gregory X. Various archival information and documentation needed. Hopeful finish date to coincide with WORT’s 40th anniversary in 2015.
V. Program Evaluations Update
1. News, Talk, And Public Affairs
None yet, but discussion of Karma Chavez “A Public Affair” to be reviewed by Molly & Stuart.
None yet, but discussion of Rich Samuels “Anything Goes” to be reviewed by Sybil & Jim, with review of Sal Serio “The Rattlesnake Shake”, and Sybil & Heidi’s “Psychoacoustics” to follow shortly after.
VI. ANY NEW BUSINESS
Recruitment for one open position on Programming Committee. There were two online applicants to consider. Still some bugs to be worked out with online/website application.
Meeting Adjourned : 6:25pm
Notes By: Sal Serio