MADISON (WORT) — Sara’s Table is a weekly show where I invite you to share what’s on my table. I’m not a trained chef. I just like to cook, eat and drink well with good friends. Come join me.
Browned Butter, Brown Sugar Cookies
2 sticks (or 16 tablespoons) of unsalted butter
2 cup dark brown sugar; packed (I recommend Whole Earth Sweeteners Dark Brown Sugar)
2 cup unbleached flour; if dough looks sticky add 2 tablespoons more
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup granulated sugar (for rolling the dough in before baking)
1. Heat butter in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until melted. Continue to cook, swirling pan constantly until butter is dark golden brown and has nutty aroma, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and transfer browned butter to large heatproof bowl. Set aside for 15-20 minutes. (If you want to get it cooled faster, brown 14 tablespoons and put the extra 2 table spoons in the bowl after you take the browned butter off the heat.)
2. Meanwhile, adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees.
3. In shallow baking dish or pie plate, pour granulated sugar; set aside.
5. Add 2 cups brown sugar to bowl with cooled butter; mix until no sugar lumps remain, about 30 seconds. Scrape down sides of bowl with rubber spatula; add eggs and vanilla; mix until fully incorporated, about 30 seconds. Scrape down bowl. Add flour mixture and mix until just combined, about 1 minute. Give dough final stir with rubber spatula to ensure that no flour pockets remain and ingredients are evenly distributed.
6. Roll dough into balls about 1 1/2 inches in diameter; roll balls through granulated sugar and set on prepared baking sheet, spacing them about 2 inches apart, 12 dough balls per sheet.
7. Bake one sheet at a time until cookies are browned and still puffy and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft (cookies will look raw between cracks and seem underdone; they are perfect, 11 to 12 minutes. Do not over bake.
8. Cool cookies on baking sheet 5 minutes; using wide metal spatula, transfer cookies to wire rack and cool to room temperature.
Recipe adapted from, Smitten Kitchen Blog