WORT celebrates the 11th Annual International Record Store Day on Saturday, April 21 with live DJs spinning all day at Sugar Shack Records and several other area music purveyors. Since 2007, Record Store Day has been a celebration of the unique culture of independently-owned record stores.
WORT DJs will again be live in person at several area stores to spin tunes and entertain shoppers throughout the day. The Punk Kitten kicks things off from 8:30-10 am at Strictly Discs, 1900 Monroe St. From noon-4 pm, The Mosh Pit‘s Mike & Matt take over Ear Wax, 254 W. Gilman at State Street. And a whole slate of WORT DJs will be spinning their favorite cuts all day from 8:30am – 6:30 pm at Sugar Shack Records, 2301 Atwood Avenue.
Here’s the lineup at Sugar Shack:
- “Gary’s Psychedelic Breakfast” will kick things off Saturday morning at 8:30 am with DJ Dave 3000 from Kosmik Radiation and Cardinal Din from Feed Me Weird Things.
- “Get Back to Earth” will follow up at 10:30 am with Katie and Tessa from Another Green World.
- “Cranking It Up” hits the air at 12:30 pm with Vinyl Richie from the Vinyl Resting Place.
- At 2:30 pm Rev. Velveteen and Bad Sister Heidi from Psychoacoustics will play some of their wackiest favorites.
- Wrapping up the last set, Friday On My Mind hosts DJ el Serpentine of The Rattlesnake Shake and Bill the Walkin’ Doctor from Beat Orgy will start their own spin at 4:30 pm.
Record Store Day originated in 2007 at a meeting of independent record store owners and employees as a way of raising the profile of their businesses and allowing them to remain independent and unique. Now, events are held on every continent except Antarctica. So come on out Saturday to Sugar Shack, Strictly Discs, Ear Wax and other participating stores – including MadCity Music Exchange and Jiggy Jamz at their new locations – and have fun with WORT while supporting your local music taste-makers and economy.