If you too want to do something special for the special people in your life, may I suggest these ginger molasses cookies. They will resonate with warmth, love toward your friend. Best of all, they are sure to evoke rich, deep, conversation. In an age of mediated connects that can feel sometimes too fast and surface, these cookies will make you and your buddy slow down and sink in. Put a pot of coffee on, pile a plate up, find a sunny spot and settle in. It is going to be a lovely afternoon.
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp powdered ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp fresh ginger, zested
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 1/2 sticks butter, softened to room temperature
1 large egg
1/3 cup blackstrap molasses
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup sugar for rolling cookies before baking
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger powder and cloves. Mix well with a fork and set aside.
- In a larger bowl, cream the butter and sugar together.
- Beat in egg, molasses, zested fresh giner, and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add dry ingredients until combined.
- Scoop out tablespoon-sized balls, roll in sugar (if desired), and place 3 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 9-11 minutes or until edges are firm but center still looks a little soft.
- Cool one minute on a baking sheet and move to rack to cool completely.
- Share generously, eat, and be happy!
Download the recipe as PDF: Ginger-Molasses-Cookies-Recipe