This coming Sunday is the last day of Hanukkah and the 3rd Sunday of Advent, so Musica Antiqua co-host for the day Alan Muirhead will predominantly feature music of the season.
The program begins with a salute to Nicholas Harnoncourt, a seminal figure in the early music movement starting in the 1960s and 70s, who just announced his retirement at age 86.His performance of Bach’s B Minor Mass was the first done in the 20th century on period instruments.
The major work on the program is Clemens non Papa’s gorgeous Missa Pastores Quidnam Vidistis from Stile Antico’s new CD Wondrous Mystery. It’s based on his motet about ‘what the shepherds saw’, so several diverse settings of that text by other composers will also be heard.
Guglielmo Da Pesaro and Salomone Rossi were two of the very few identified Jewish composers in the Renaissance; some of their music will be played in honor of Hanukkah.
In the last half hour, Dr. Albert Pinsonneault, Artistic Director of Madison Choral Project, will come to the studio to talk about MCP’s concerts next weekend. He will also join Ena Foshay at 7:00am Wednesday, Dec 16, for an extended discussion of the concerts.
Here’s a condensed playlist. Remember that more details can be found by clicking on Playlist on the home page.
- Johann Sebastian Bach, Dona Nobis Pacem from Mass in B Minor, Nikolaus Harnoncourt dir., Chorus Viennensis, Concentus Musicus Wien, & Wiener Sängerknaben
- Orlande de Lassus, Prophetiae Sibyllarum [celections], The Hilliard Ensemble
- Heinrich Ignaz Franz von Biber, Mystery Sonata #3, “The Nativity”, John Holloway, Davitt Moroney: Tragicomedia
- Anonymous, In natali Domini, Nobis est natus hodie, and Mikolaj Zielenski’s Beata es virgo, The Rose Ensemble, Jordan Sramek
- Anonymous, Puer Natus In Bethlehem, Co La Madre Del Beato, and Johannes Ciconia’s Gloria In Excelsis, Trefoil with Drew Minter, Mark Rimple, Marcia Young
- Guglielmo Ebreo Da Pesaro, Piva Amoroso and Ballo “Petit Vriens”, Capella De La Torre; Katharina Bauml
- Jacobus Clemens non Papa, Missa Pastores Quidnam Vidistis, Stile Antico, interleaved with selections from Scott Reiss, Folger Consort
- Salomone Rossi Hebreo, Sonata In Dialogo Detta La Viena and Gagliarda Zambalina, Joshua Jacobson: Early Music Ensemble of Boston/The Collegium de Rossi
- Juan Blas de Castro, Angelus ad pastores ait, Bruno Turner: Pro Cantione Antiqua
- Anonymous, Quem Vidistis Pastores, Pomerium
- Tomas Luis de Victoria, Quem Vidistis, Pastores, Paul McCreesh: Gabrieli Consort & Players
- Alessandro Piccinini, Piccinini Canzone a Tre Liuti, Jakob Lindberg, Robert Meunier, Nigel North, Paul O’Dette
- Giovanni Gabrieli, Quem Vidisti Pastores, Paul McCreesh: Gabrieli Consort & Players
That’s Musica Antiqua, Sunday, December 13.