April 7, 2014
5:15 – 6:45 pm
Present: Molly Stentz, Sybil Augustine, Karma Chavez, Sal Serio, Stuart Utley, Rich Samuels
Absent: Jim Schwall
Meeting Commenced: 5:28 pm
1. Communication from the Public:
- Read through the Comments Log, but only old news or general (positive) comments were in it. There were no emails from the public to review.
2. Communication from the Board:
- No comments from the Board to the Programming Committee.
3. Schedule Next Meeting:
- NEXT MEETING: May 5, 2014 5:00 – 6:30 pm
4. Approve Last Month’s Meeting Minutes:
- March’s and January’s minutes were approved and posted.
5. Staff Reports:
- News, Talk, and Public Affairs:
- Successful 2 hour broadcast from WI Film Festival, but one technical issue with a malfunctioning CD player.
- Station is having issues with the new phone system, in regard to conference calling (multiple callers on at the same time). Problem lies with the vendor of the new phone system. Station staff are looking in to options to resolve issue.
- FCC profanity issue on an “8:00 Buzz” program that was hosted by a sub. Committee identified need for formal communication & training with subs to avoid issues such as this.
- Planning on having several WORT D.J.s in local stores for Record Store Day. This is an event that is growing.
- Make Music Madison has WORT involved as a promotional exchange.
- WORT staff have met with organizers of the group Murfie to potentially come up with a convenient digital storage/player that all music D.J.s would have access to. Although, this service may be cost prohibitive.
- WORT is hiring for a new Production Coordinator.
- Discussion of an instructional guide to be translated into Spanish for procedures such as using the new phone system, and using Spinitron.
- Identification of need for a new, more detailed, Phone Guide to be assembled and made available to all programmers.
6. Program Evaluations Update:
- News, Talk, And Public Affairs:
- First News programmer evaluation happened for Karma Chavez (“A Public Affair”), which was seen as positive, constructive, and took under an hour to complete.
- First Music programmer evaluation happened for Rich Samuels (“Anything Goes”), which was seen as positive and took under an hour to complete. Identification that the online Evaluation Form may need some changes, in regard to user functionality, and also to make questions less subjective.
7. NEW BUSINESS
- Many new positions will be coming available in June, including a new Fundraising Director.
- Proposal of a new hire (30 hr/week M-Th) for the Tuesday “In Our Backyard”. Decision will need to be made by the Board.
- Discussion regarding attempts to get all Music programmers to use Spinitron.
Meeting Adjourned : 7:12 pm
Notes By: Sal Serio