The idea is simple. Expand the building, expand the programming, and bring all 130 students to grade-level math and reading skills by 2020. All it will take is $2.2 million, and Vera is well on its way.
By the time groundbreaking happened this spring, Vera had already raised 60% of the necessary budget. 94 donors, big and small, came together to help raise the money, and Vera is confident that they will raise the remaining 40%.
The four-year vision has an ambitious end goal that calls for more space and more resources. They have already begun hiring more staff so that program planning can begin. The new programming and the new expansion are both in line to be ready at the start of the new school year.
Executive director, Tom Solyst, and director of development, Rebecca Russl, spoke with WORT’s Alejandro Alonso Galva about the exciting changes happening at Vera.