(WORT) — Sara’s Table is a weekly show where I invite you to share what’s on my table. I’m not a trained chef. I just like to cook, eat and drink well with good friends. Come join me.
— Sara McKinnon
Yellow Birthday Cupcakes
1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup salted butter, room temperature
1 egg yolk
3 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup (120ml) whole milk
yogurt or sour cream
1/2 cup (120ml) milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda and baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
- Add butter, egg, egg yolk, vanilla, yogurt/sour cream and milk to the flour mixture and mix on medium speed just until smooth. Do not over mix.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4th way full.
- Bake 18-20 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 1-2 minutes, then remove to cooling rack to finish cooling.
- To make icing, beat butter and shortening until smooth.
- Add 1 cups of powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add cocoa and beat until smooth.
- Add remaining 1-2 cups of powdered sugar (depending on your desired sweetness) and 2 tbsp of water or milk and beat until smooth. You can also add a few ounces of bitter-sweet chocolate that you’ve melted over a double broiler to the mixture if you like frosting that is extra rich with chocolate flavor.
- Add additional water or milk, until the right consistency.
Recipe adapted from yellow cupcakes with chocolate frosting