Do you have a knack for finding local events, opportunities, and resources? Want to play a role in keeping your community informed? WORT is looking for a volunteer to write the scripts for our Insurgent Radio Kiosk. The Kiosk is our daily interstitial of information and resources for the WORT listening community, and is aired each day at 5, 6:30, and 9am, and at 2pm.
This volunteer will write short, two-minute scripts for each day’s calendar of community information and events. Those scripts are then read and produced by a rotating collective of volunteers before they make it on air.
This position is location flexible and can be done remotely; it can also be done at WORT under non-COVID times. It is also time-flexible, but this volunteer should expect a bulk of this work to be done later in the week, on Thursdays, Fridays, or Saturdays. This is approximately a 3 hour/week position, with at least a one-year commitment desired.
Applicants should be comfortable with computers, word processing, and email. They should also be somewhat comfortable sleuthing around the internet to find useful information.
Information typically included in the Kiosk includes, but is not not limited to:
- Local events or community activities that are low-cost or free in WORT’s listening area,
- Volunteer opportunities at other organizations,
- Opportunities to be involved in local government,
- Information on City of Madison/Dane County services,
- Free nonprofit services for people in need (e.g. NAMI for mental health, Legal Action of Wisconsin/Tenant Resource Center for eviction help)
- Details on how and where to vote (when applicable),
- Food pantry information,
- Public health testing and recommendations under COVID-19.
Information that cannot be included in scripts include…
- Commercial promotions or events that are not low-cost,
- Fundraising for other organizations,
- Political opinions, endorsements, or advice,
- Information irrelevant to listeners in south-central Wisconsin,
- Indecency or profanity, as defined by the FCC.
Interested? Read the position description here, then contact News, Talk, and Public Affairs Director Chali Pittman at email@example.com or at 608-321-9586. You can also view a sample script here. We can’t wait to hear from you!